This year's Talent Trust recipients come from Windsor Junction, Lower Sackville, Middle Sackville, Hammonds Plains, Truro, Montague Gold Mines, Upper Tantallon, Wolfville, Derbert, New Glasgow, Millville, Sydney, Canning, Upper Kennetcook, Conquerall Mills, Timberlea, Glace Bay, Hants Port as well as Bedford, Dartmouth and Halifax. These aspiring artists have proven their commitment to their art by adapting through the uncertain times of a global pandemic by adjusting and changing their programs and studying virtually. Recipients attended online programs all over the world, from the United States to the UK to Spain.
Through their residencies, mentorships, and schooling, NSTT scholarship recipients inevitably promote Nova Scotia's cultural relevance by studying in some of the best institutions worldwide. Like Portia White herself, the original catalyst for the organization's formation, recipients sometimes become world-renowned. Think Jane Archibald, Bretten Hannam, and George Elliott Clarke. Since Portia's impetus in 1944, the Talent Trust has distributed over 2.5 million dollars in scholarships to over 1,000 recipients.
The independent, volunteer Scholarship Selection Committees, made up of twelve professional artists, two from each discipline, obviously recognize the artistic skill and look for lasting commitment signs. The artist's life has more than its fair share of challenges, and for the NSTT, dedication to professional achievement is as essential as artistic potential. Since the province is overflowing with talent, the decisions are never easy.
This year's 67 successful scholarships were chosen from a field of 129 applications over two submission periods, 1 March and 1 May 2021. Five of the 67 scholarships are supported by the NS Arts Endowment Fund of $2,000 each. They are Katrina Ouellette for Dance, Spencer MacKay for Film, Jacob MacDonald for Music, Emily O'Leary for Theatre, and Hannah Craig for Visual Arts.
The new CN Halifax Community Board scholarship of $1,000 goes to Reva Bhardwaj who studies film in Vancouver.
The Nova Scotia Talent Trust's scholarships totaled $71,000 in 2021, which is only possible through various generous grants and individual donations. We thank our individual donors, the Craig Foundation, the RBC Foundation, CN Halifax Community Board, and Arts Nova Scotia for their support during this special time.
More than ever, have we realized over the last couple of months how much the arts and the individual artists help us to stay mentally healthy. Nova Scotia artists supported us in the darkest days with their talent and generosity. Let's celebrate the 2021 Nova Scotia Talent Trust scholarship recipients, which signify our cultural future.
Below is the complete 2021 list of Nova Scotia Talent Trust scholarship recipients.
List of the 2021 Talent Trust Scholarship Recipients including the Nova Scotia Arts Endowment Fund Scholarship, and CN Halifax Community Board Scholarship Recipients
CIRCUS ARTS RECIPIENT
- Luca Haase, Conquerall Mills
- Sahara Nyathi, Halifax
- Maggie Oates-Johnson, Dartmouth
- Katrina Ouellette, Middle Sackville, NS Arts Endowment Fund Scholarship
- Emma Purdy, Debert
- Aidan Vaudreuil-Wakeham, Lower Sackville
- Julia Barkhouse, Dartmouth
- Sienna Nyathi, Halifax
- Priyadarshini Satheesh, Halifax
- Minuet Charron, Halifax
- Stan Tonin, Windsor Junction
- Gabrielle Trudel, Timberlea
- Reva Bhardwaj, Dartmouth, CN Halifax Community Board Scholarship
- Spencer MacKay, Windsor Junction, NS Arts Endowment Fund Scholarship
- K.R. Byggdin, Halifax
- Peggy Walt, Halifax
- Sidney Robichaud, Halifax,
Brass – Euphonium
- Ross Macintosh, Truro
- Shaw Nicholson, Halifax
- Kayleigh James, Halifax
- Jessica MacIsaac, Halifax
- Abby Hanson, Montague Gold Mines
- Ella Hanson, Montague Gold Mines
- Gabriel O'Brien, Halifax
- Sherry Chen, Hammonds Plains
- Natalia Comeau, Hammonds Plains
- Devin Huang, Bedford
- Lala Lee, Halifax
- Carmen Peng, Wolfville
- Chantal Peng, Wolfville
- Alex Yang, Bedford
- Lucas Goudie, Halifax
- Jacob MacDonald, Upper Kennetcook, NS Arts Endowment Fund Scholarship
- Kelvin Mansaray, Halifax
- Rhian Merritt, Upper Tantallon
- Natalie Mitchell, Halifax
- Nicole Ross, New Glasgow
- Abigail Sinclair, Halifax
- Shanice Skinner, New Glasgow
- Connie Young, Halifax
- Kevin Munroe, Sydney
- Ryan MacDougall, Hammonds Plains
- Deanna Mann, New Glasgow
- Emily O’Leary, Glace Bay, NS Arts Endowment Fund Scholarship
- Jillian Peters, Dartmouth
- Charles Bourne, Halifax
- Leena Elkhatteeb , Bedford
- Madeleine West, Halifax
- Excel Garay, Halifax
- Olivia Haill, Halifax
- Jonah McKay, Canning
- Hannah Craig, Halifax, NS Arts Endowment Fund Scholarship
- Anna Syme, Hantsport
- Kaya Panthier, Halifax
- Ada Denil, Halifax